School History

The Aga Khan Lycée (AKL), Khorog, part of the Aga Khan Education Service, Tajikistan (AKES, Tj) was established in September 1998. His Excellency Emomali Rahmon, the President of the Republic of Tajikistan, inaugurated the School with His Highness the Aga Khan.

The Lycée is built on the premises of the former School #3 (named after Kirov), a school with a distinguished history in Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast (GBAO). When the Lycée was established, a majority of School #3's teachers, staff and students continued on.

The Aga Khan Lycee is part of the Aga Khan Education Services (AKES). It has a long tradition of leadership in educational development. The foundations of the present education system were laid by Sir Sultan Mohamed Shah Aga Khan III, who established over 200 schools during the 20th century. The first schools were established around 1905 in Zanzibar, Gwadar (Pakistan), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Mundra (India). Since the creation of Aga Khan Education Service companies in the 1970s, the schools have been centrally administered and managed.

AKES currently operates more than 200 schools and several educational programmes that provide quality pre-school, primary, secondary and higher secondary education services to more than 75,000 students in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, United Arab Emirates and Madagascar. Schools will also be developed in Afghanistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.